Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Help Nashville Filmmaker Robert Poole



As anyone who follows me on twitter or G+ knows, I've recently moved to Nashville, the city of the perpetual white presence. I've had a hard time acclimating, but Mrs. Breh has done a lot to help. One of the things that she's put me on to is Nashville's rather amazing coalition of black artists and filmmakers.

While I was doing my usual "ooh, there's something interesting on the internet" break at work, I came across this indiegogo campaign for Robert L. Poole's thesis film, Brother's Keeper.

A description of the project from Shadow and Act:

"When an inner-city high school prodigy finds himself ineligible for a vital college scholarship, his last resort is to hold court with a secret group of the city's most influential men. While approval from this exclusive club would no-doubt guarantee free admission to any college of Tim's choosing, it will come at the cost of a brutal initiation."
Check the campaign video:



Looks like a definite deviation from the norm, and with a nod to Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man to boot.

I know that when I get a few extra ends, I'm definitely gonna support Mr. Poole's ambition, Because Hollywood isn't about that fair representation of POC in film life, it's up to us to tell our stories. I'm all for it.

Follow Robert on G+ and Facebook as well.

A Breh Wants to know: What POC indie film projects are floating your boat right now?

2 comments:

  1. Years later, but thank you so much for your support. The final product:
    https://vimeo.com/64880949

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years later, but thank you so much for your support. The final product:
    https://vimeo.com/64880949

    ReplyDelete